Monday, August 12, 2013

Car trouble and a successful experiment

My car had one of its pipes pop off (again) yesterday. I noticed the guy welded it on this time, rather than simply using a vise. He fixed it for free both times it popped off, so I won't complain too much. I also know that he had the vise on there so that I could get the catalytic converter replaced if I ever needed to, but I hope not. It'd probably cost more to fix than my poor old car is worth.

It hasn't been a bad couple of days, other than that. I did decide that I'm going to start using some of the drafts I have cooked up in my notebooks, since I've noticed it's difficult to just sit down and write something that's interesting and makes sense day after day. I'm sure that an experienced blogger who reads this will say, "Well, duh," but my blogs before have been like my journals, with me just writing when I felt like it about what I felt like writing right then. I can do that some, I'm sure, but I'd really like to be able to post something at least once a day (minus Sundays), and I have days when I just can't write. 'Tis best to have backup material, I think.

Another thing I noticed actually works as well as advertised is leaving a link to your stuff in your comments. I picked up a number of views just from people going, "Oh, what's this?" Now, I'm not talking about spamming people's blogs or forums with your website name. That's just awkward, not to mention really rude. However, having a link to your site in your forum signature (the box at the bottom of your forum posts with pictures and stuff in it, for those who don't know) or leaving your website when invited in a comment box (some have a setup asking for your name, your email, your site, and then your comment, and sometimes link to your site from your name/username) is just fine. I will definitely be doing that more, since I'm fine with being associated with my blog.

I might also borrow some of my mom's blogging books. She dove in headlong to the research part when she decided she wanted a blog. Mom likes to look things up and learn all the steps first, while I learn best by doing and researching as I go, so--since we like some of the same things--I will often end up borrowing my mom's books and just reading the part I'm curious about right then. :) I drive my poor mother crazy doing that, but we decided long ago that we'd stop trying to learn things at the same time, since the "book knowledge first" method usually makes me want to hit my head against a wall.

On another note, I may well give up on the second "about me" and just let people go read my profile page when I get that finished. (Somehow, I think it's bad form that I'm four posts in and that still isn't done...) I really don't want to keep saying I'll do something and then that's not what I do.

Sadly, 'tis time for me to move on to the next thing on my list, so I'm afraid this will have to do for now.

See you tomorrow.

Love,

Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment